Welcome to 5/6 Miscoe Art with Mrs. Gentili!
I am excited to be back at school to welcome your child into the art room. I was thrilled to spend some of my summer at the ISTE 2017 Technology in Education conference in San Antonio, where I learned a lot about integrating technology in education. I also participated in a course through Massachusetts College of Art on Teaching for Artistic Behavior, which focused on developing children as artists through choice and expression and the cultivation of habits of mind fundamental to artists. I am bringing these experiences into the classroom with project-based learning, technology integration, and a focus on choice with traditional art-making methods and concepts. Our first project will be to make artist journals/ sketchbooks, so there is no need to purchase one for your child.
Assessment and grading will be based on the 8 Studio Habits of Mind as follows:
- Develop Craft: Learning to use tools, materials, artistic conventions; and learning to care for tools, materials, and space.
- Engage & Persist: Learning to embrace problems of relevance within the art world and/or of personal importance, to develop focus conducive to working and persevering at tasks.
- Envision: Learning to picture mentally what cannot be directly observed, and imagine possible next steps in making a piece.
- Express: Learning to create works that convey an idea, a feeling, or a personal meaning.
- Observe: Learning to attend to visual contexts more closely than ordinary “looking” requires, and thereby to see things that otherwise might not be seen.
- Reflect: Learning to think and talk with others about an aspect of one’s work or working process, and learning to judge one’s own work and working process and the work of others.
- Stretch & Explore: Learning to reach beyond one’s capacities, to explore playfully without a preconceived plan, and to embrace the opportunity to learn from mistakes.
- Understand (Arts) Community: Learning to interact as an artist with other artists (i.e., in classrooms, in local arts organizations, and across the art field) and within the broader society.
– Studio Habits of Mind from Studio Thinking: The Real Benefits of Visual Arts Education, Hetland, Winner, et al, Teachers College Press, 2007.
Your child is invited to join Art Club on Wednesdays from 2:45 – 3:45, which runs independent of Enrichment classes. See me for a registration form for Art Club. On Tuesdays I will be teaching Clay classes through Enrichment. Flat Clay! What Did You Say? will be offered this session.
I will send an email when the iPads are rolled out with instructions on apps and websites NOT to block, such as our online gallery at Artsonia.com. Please identify me (email@example.com) as “not junk/ not spam” in your email settings. To initiate our successful communication, I will send an email to all families of students on this term’s roster by Friday 9/1. If you do not receive it, please email me. To stay up-to-date with what is going on in the 5/6 Art room, see my blog at monalisaliveshere.me, follow my Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/MonaLisaLivesHere, and my Instagram account at @MonaLisaLivesHere.
Have a wonderful school year!